The 2023 NFL season is months away, but as training camp begins it’s time to take inventory of the league’s best. In a pass-first league, good wide receivers are a must-have. And with so many good ones in the league, creating this wide receiver rankings was a tough task.
Before diving in, it is essential to recognize that evaluating NFL wide receivers is a subjective process. Wide receiver rankings can vary depending on different analysts’ perspectives and the criteria used to assess each player’s skills and impact on the game. The rankings presented in this article are based on a combination of past performances, potential for the upcoming season, and the overall influence each wide receiver has on their respective teams. With that in mind, let’s explore my NFL wide receiver rankings heading into the 2023 season.
2023 Wide Receiver Rankings
- Justin Jefferson
- With his electrifying speed, exceptional route running, and big-play ability, Justin Jefferson has emerged as one of the most dynamic receivers in the league. Coming off an impressive 2022 season, he continues to be a vital part of the Minnesota Vikings’ offense and is expected to maintain his status as one of the top wideouts in the NFL. Adding Jordan Addison should only further open up the field for Jefferson and his connection with Cousins in the second year with Kevin O’Connell should be fun to watch.
- Davante Adams:
- Adams proved the doubters wrong in his first season without Aaron Rodgers on a new team. The veteran posted great numbers no matter who he was catching passes from and ended up with 14 touchdowns. Adams’ precise route running, incredible hands, and ability to make contested catches make him a nightmare for opposing defenses. Heading into the 2023 season, he remains a key weapon for the Raiders no matter who’s at quarterback.
- Tyreek Hill:
- Known for his blazing speed and quickness, Tyreek Hill is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. As a primary target for the Dolphins and Tua Tagovailoa, Hill’s deep-threat ability, and versatility have helped the Dolphins become one of the speediest offenses in the league, as well as furthering Tua’s development as a quarterback. With Tua healthy, and another full offseason to work with him, the Cheetah should have no problem taking the top off your favorite defense in 2023.
- Cooper Kupp:
- Building on an outstanding 2021 season, Cooper Kupp has solidified his place as a top receiver for the Los Angeles Rams. His excellent route running, football IQ, and strong hands have made him a favorite target for quarterback Matthew Stafford. After a short year from both of them in 2022 due to injury, expect the Stafford to Kupp connection to continue to be electric in 2023. Expect Kupp to continue being a significant factor in the Rams’ high-powered offense.
- Ja’Marr Chase:
- Chase’s chemistry with quarterback Joe Burrow going back to college, combined with his speed, agility, and big-play ability, has made him an impact player from day one. He quickly became one of the best deep threat, playmaking receivers in the league helping lead the Bengals to Super Bowl LVI. Heading into his third season, he is poised to be one of the league’s premier young wide receivers.
- Stefon Diggs:
- Since joining the Buffalo Bills, Stefon Diggs has elevated their passing game to new heights. His precise route running and knack for making tough catches in traffic have made him a true game-changer for the Bills. As they remain Super Bowl contenders, Diggs’ role is crucial in their offensive success.
- A.J. Brown:
- Physicality and speed define AJ Brown’s game. His ability to break tackles and gain yards after the catch makes him a formidable weapon for the Eagles. With his all-around skill set, Brown continues to be a top-tier receiver in the league and a key piece of the unique Eagles’ offense.
- CeeDee Lamb:
- CeeDee Lamb’s versatility and explosiveness have made him an essential part of the Dallas Cowboys’ offense. His ability to line up both outside and in the slot, along with his exceptional hands, makes him a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. With the addition of Brandin Cooks on the opposite side, he’s poised for a great year. As he enters his third season, Lamb is primed for a breakout year.
- Terry McLaurin:
- Despite playing for a team that has faced challenges at quarterback, Terry McLaurin has consistently showcased his talent and reliability as the Commanders’ go-to receiver. His speed, route running, and ability to make contested catches have earned him recognition as one of the underrated stars at the wide receiver position.
- D.K. Metcalf:
- Known for his incredible size, speed, and athleticism, DK Metcalf is a dominant presence for the Seattle Seahawks. His ability to win jump balls and create big plays downfield has made him a favorite target for both Russell Wilson and Geno Smith. With his skill set, Metcalf is undoubtedly one of the top wide receivers in the league and part of the best receiver trio.
- HM: Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Garrett Wilson